Saint John Fisher Catholic Voluntary Academy serves the Parishes of English Martyrs, Alvaston and St Ralph Sherwin, Chellaston.
We are very fortunate in our close parish links. Fr Mark Brentnall, our Parish Priest, is a regular visitor to our school. We are also fortunate to have a visiting priest from Poland, Fr Slavec; he too is actively involved in the life of the school.
Mass is celebrated almost weekly in our school. Some of the Masses are for the whole school; others are House Masses. Saint John Fisher children lead the readings at a Sunday Mass once a half term. This is an important community link with our parish; we warmly invite and encourage all our pupils and their families to attend these Masses whether or not they are Catholic.
Pupils visit English Martyrs Church as part of their RE programme of Preparation for the Sacraments and at various times to lead the Mass, which Fr Brentnall celebrates. School and Parish combine for seasonal events such as the Parish Christmas Bazaar.
Preparation for the Sacraments is done through the Parish but our teaching of Religious Education is an important part of that preparation. RE is central to our curriculum and we enjoy rich Liturgical life which ensures prayer is an important part of our daily life. Many of our parents are also active parishioners and they support us in our mission.
The school is embedded Although Parents have a right to withdraw their children from Acts of Worship and RE, all children are made very welcome and we find the majority of our children love to take part in the Liturgical life of the school.
- NEWSLETTER – 19 MAY 19 (5 Easter C)
- NEWSLETTER – 28 APR 19 (2 Easter C)
- NEWSLETTER – 17 MAR 19 (2 Lent C)
- NEWSLETTER – 10 MAR 19 (1 Lent C) (3)
- NEWSLETTER – 10 FEB 19 (5C)
- NEWSLETTER – 3 FEB 19 (3C)
- NEWSLETTER – 27 JAN 19 (3C)
- NEWSLETTER – 13 JAN 19 (Baptism of the Lord)
- NEWSLETTER – 9 DEC 18 (2-ADV-C)
- NEWSLETTER – 30 SEPT 18 (23B)
- NEWSLETTER – 16 SEPT 18 (23B)
- NEWSLETTER – 9 SEPT 18 (23B)